Saturday, August 23, 2008

Holy Smokes!

This is Tsion's new saying.....I am not sure where she picked this up at!

Anyway, today I measured and weighed them both for fun. When Sami came home (Jan 07) he weighed 44 lbs, and was 47" tall (about 9 years old). Today, he weighs 72 lbs. He has gained almost 30 pounds! It sounds impossible. He has grown 5.5". His cousins and grandmother are maybe 5'...and I am guessing his Mom was about that. But, his Dad is about 6'5. So who knows where he will end up. But considering in January 07 he was not even on the U.S. growth charts (like -5%!), he is now 60% in weight, and 25% in height. Sami's intake report said that his growth was stunted, and one year ago his guesstimated adult height was 5'6.

Tsion was not as small as Sami. But she was 33# and has gained 13 lbs. She has grown 7" since she has come home. She is a head taller then she was 19 months ago. I cannot believe that she weighs about as much as Sami did when we picked him up! The pediatrician had actually questioned the age difference when she plotted Tsions height and weight. She said she thought she was 5 and not 7. For comparison, Tsion is 10% in height, and 25% in weight. And for further comparison, the Kenenisa Bekele is around 5'4 and Meseret is way smaller. I was shocked when we met them!

I am sure that there is a reason that WHO uses a NCHS curve......but I don't get it!

Referral pics 10/06

(I knew we were in big trouble with those eyes!)


Embassy pictures, 12/06






These pictures were taken in 1998 (Ethiopian calander, it is now 2000). I am guessing that they were taken shortly before they went into Kidane Mihret Orphanage.

1 comment:

Erica Peto said...

No kidding - those eyes of Tsion's are something else! I love seeing the first photos you had of them.