Saturday, May 3, 2008

Surfing.......

Lance is gone for the weekend, so instead of doing laundry, (now my Mom will never come home from Palm Springs!)

I am catching up on the computer! I found this video on youtube. "Imagine if New York City's taps went dry. What would we do? Jennifer Connelly walks to Central Park to get dirty water for her family as millions of mothers in Africa do every day."







Back in January, in Addis, I traded water bottles with a little boy at a school. I cauldn't stand to see him drink out of his anymore. You can see the pix Here. Even the fact that these kids have a water bottle to carry around is a big deal. When we were on Entoto, kids were begging us for the plastic bottles, full or not. (They loved the fact one of my large bottles was frozen!) They use and reuse everything/anything, and you will see used bottles hanging in stores up and down the roads for sale.
You can make a difference. (think some of your rebate check!) at Barefootworld.org, or 1000wells.
Did you know that:
*"1 Billion very important people lack access to clean water. (Although we don't know them personally, are they really less valuable than we are?) They drink from polluted lakes and streams where animal waste, human waste, and parasites infect the water.
*Women and children walk 2 hours each way to fetch water (hauling dirty water back to their families.) They have no time or energy left for education or small business, and many of them die.
*Preventable water related diseases kill 4 children every minute.. Imagine if that many precious ones were dying in the U.S.!
*25,000 people lose their lives to water-related illnesses every single day."

***Source: 1000 wells
And for the record, I have made a signifigant dent in the pile above! :) Go ahead Mom, call the airlines, it's clean! (But, I am sure I will have another pile waiting for you when you get here!)

1 comment:

Erica Peto said...

Oh man - I have a very similar pile of laundry waiting for me in the kitchen (where my washer/dryer are)...